Saturday 5 June 2010

Another Day in Planet Hay

"My dear friends. This is a very interesting book. But..." He opened the book and pointed to the price.
Boo was at the counter serving. I was only there because I was collecting my bag to go for lunch. "I'm sorry," she said, "but we've had a four page document given to us which basically says 'Don't give any discount'."
The man sighed. "But I have come all the way from the Caribbean - no, I've come from Sheffield...." He smiled hopefully.
I left Boo to it, but as I went out, I said to the man; "You do get extra points for being charming!"

Meanwhile, on the streets of Hay, I passed a lady with her mobile phone pressed to her ear, obviously asking for directions. "Have we passed the Three Huns yet?" she asked. I pointed back along the street, trying not to laugh - I had a mental image of a pub sign showing three men in spiky First World War German helmets, with big moustaches.

Another lady was looking for a cash point machine, since there was a long queue for the one at Barclays. I told her where the HSBC and Nat West were. "There's a whole other part of Hay," she said in amazement, "with shops!" I think she'd only seen the Festival site and Broad Street.

And in the town square, the Full Moon Morris team was dancing.

2 comments:

Yarn Craft Rebel said...

Did you spot yourself in the Portrait of Hay Photo exhibition near the library - it was taken by a very old friend of mine, you and your little dawg walking through Hay - so sweet!

Also I left a decoration on the tree that overlooks the car-park/market square, and a little heart by Flow.....

Eigon said...

People have been coming up to me all week to tell me about the picture!
I think it's wonderful, and Adam the photographer is giving me a print of it.