Friday 18 June 2010

A Chariot for Islay

For some time now, people have been seeing Islay hobbling round town and have said to me "What she needs is a skateboard," or "You should put her on wheels."
This morning, Benjy's Mum came round with a basket and a two wheeled trolley, the sort of thing that might have a big shopping bag attached to it.
The first thing to do was to take the handle off the basket. One of the workmen who are renovating the house next door saw me struggling and sawed it off for me.
It worked fine when Islay wasn't sitting in it.
A longer wheel base was called for, I decided, and more wheels.
I went up to Jones's for some castors, and spent the rest of the morning fixing them to a plank.
Islay consented to sitting in the basket and being wheeled up and down the living room floor.
Then I lashed the plank to the trolley with a bit of rope, and now the experimental vehicle is awaiting its first trials....

No comments: