Monday 21 June 2010

Heroine of World War Two

"We're looking for a book about Violette Szabo. You know, there was the film 'Carve her Name with Pride'? She was Odette?"
I did know, and I sent them upstairs to find the World War Two espionage section.
They came back empty handed, but while they were away, I remembered that I'd visited a church somewhere in Herefordshire, years ago, where there was an exhibition about Odette. I think she must have had some local connection.
A quick look at Wikipedia confirmed it, but since I'd visited, the exhibition must have grown because it's no longer in the church. Now there's a cottage in the village of Wormelow Tump which has been turned into a Violette Szabo museum. Virginia McKenna, who played her in the film, went to the opening of it.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love reading all your snippets of Way-on-High. They are brilliant. Thanks.

David Steer said...

Yes this was a film that reached out to many people. My wife's Aunt (who was in the Army during the war)loved it and as she got older began to beleive that she was Odette. It obviously struck a chord with many people of that era. David Steer.

David Steer said...

HI Lesley ....... just realised its you. Yes I was talking about Springfield Aunt. Like the Blog ..... now have it on my favourites.

Aussie Expat said...

You've been quiet for a bit Lesley - have you been at Glasto?

Arthur's Dad said...

There's a two-page article about Violette Szabo in the new (July?) edition of Herefordshire Life, Lesley.

Eigon said...

I've been on holiday to London, Aussie Expat, soaking up culture and good beer!

And hi, David - I remember some of Aunt's stories!