Tuesday 8 June 2010

The Book House

Half Moon House was up for sale a little while ago, and it seems it is now under new ownership. It was originally a pub called the Half Moon, and when I first came to Hay I met one of the last landladies, who was in her eighties then, and had supplemented the earnings of the pub, which she ran with her husband, by working as a nurse.
I'm pretty sure that it is also the building named 'Sixpence House' in the book of that name, about an American who lived in Hay for a while. He slightly disguises names, and I'm guessing that his idea was Half Moon House = The Moon and Sixpence = Sixpence House, which is a literary reference (George Orwell or someone?). It's quite an interesting book, though some locals have complained about his portrayal of Lucy and the Three Tuns in it.
Anyway, it now seems to have become The Book House, offering accomodation to book clubs and others for literary themed holidays, and offering "discounts and special access to events in Hay". I picked up their card from an outside table at the Granary as I was passing during the Festival. They also, of course, have a website at www.booktownbookclubs.com

No comments: