Tuesday 1 June 2010

Interesting Customers

Unlike yesterday, there was a bit of time to slow down and chat today, and I met some interesting people.
A lady who bought the Collected Poems of George Mackay Brown told me that she had been married on Orkney, and this was to remind her of the islands.
Another lady asked for recommendations for nautical fiction. She was going on holiday on a tall ship, and the previous year they had sat around in the evening reading out Moby Dick. They'd also been reading Hornblower. I suggested Alexander Kent's Bolitho series, or Patrick O'Brien.
In the evening, Douglas Hurd came in briefly!
And when I was making a list of the different nationalities who came into the shop yesterday, I completely forgot the Norwegian chap who asked me if I knew what the population of Wales was! (I haven't got a clue!).
Just as I left work in the evening, I met Anita and her chap from Penmaenmawr, who had come down from the fastnesses of North Wales to enjoy a few days of the Festival.

The soggy (and partially non-existant) Festival bunting has been taken down, and plastic bunting has been put up.

No comments: