Wednesday 16 June 2010

Open Mic Night

I never quite know what to expect when I go up to Kilvert's on Open Mic Night. A good real ale is expected, of course - this time it was Magna Carta from Lincoln Cathedral Ales, which I tried on the basis that I hadn't heard of it before. Last week, I think it was something called Boondoggle, which was also very nice.
And last week nothing much was going on - I think Briar was off at a Festival - so we just sat around and chatted for a while. This week, some friends of Tim's were there. I didn't catch their names, or the band they belonged to, but I'm pretty sure they were professional musicians. One of them said something about being the support band soon for a concert by Alvin Stardust. When Tim got his guitar out and started singing, they disappeared for a bit, and came back with a guitar, little drum kit, and a double bass! They set up by the fireplace inside - and they were good. When I left, Briar was singing, but she'd promised that the band would play again later. Chris had said he was going to read out a bit of his book - I don't know whether he did or not.

5 comments:

Steph said...

Hi Lesley
I have been given your name by John Prescott as I will be walking to Hay on the 2nd Aug as part of my 6 month story walk telling transition tales...for a book about what was happening in the various transition initiatives in 2010.
wondering if you'd be interested in meeting up?
Steph Bradley
aka WynnAlice, StoryGatherer
http://www.transitionnetwork.org/blogs/steph-bradley
or email transitiontales@googlemail.com

Steph said...

sorry Lesley
I meant DAVE Prescott!

Eigon said...

Well, John Prescott conjures up an interesting vision!
I'd love to meet you!

David Steer said...

Which night is open mic? ..... might do a pome or two sometime.

Eigon said...

Theoretically, it's every Tuesday. Sometimes people turn up and just chat, and sometimes there's some exceptionally good music - and sometimes it's something in between.