Monday 4 December 2023

Appeal for Children in Gaza

 I went straight from the Hay Forum in St Mary's to the Parish Hall, where the Appeal for Children in Gaza was taking place. 

They were just starting the presentation by Neil Stone, of the Ecumenical Accompaniment Programme in Israel and Palestine, and about 20 people were there to listen.

I grew up in a Jewish area of Manchester where some of our neighbours had very strongly held views about the State of Israel (they were in favour, obviously), but over the years I've found myself far more in sympathy with the Palestinians, as I've followed what has been happening there.  The videos coming out of Gaza now are harrowing to watch, and despite protest marches around the world the Israeli forces are continuing to bomb civilians, and kill people who work for the UN, journalists and medical staff - and children. 

 There doesn't seem to be anything ordinary people can do to stop the killing, but at least I could buy a few cakes to show my support.


No comments: