Tuesday 8 May 2007

Dogs on Buses

I've been away to a historical re-enactment show and this time I had to go the whole way on public transport, instead of getting a lift from Hereford. So that was two buses, three trains and a taxi there, and three buses, three trains and a taxi back.
All went smoothly until I got back to Hereford. Being Bank Holiday Monday, a Sunday service was running. This is run by a local firm, Yeoman's Canyon Travel. The last bus home is 3.42pm. So I got on the bus, as I normally do, and was told dogs are not allowed, apart from guide dogs. I've been taking Islay on the Sunday bus for about four years now, and I have never been told this before. I also had no other way of getting home if I couldn't get this bus. So I argued, and eventually, he agreed to carry Islay if I paid full price for her - which was £4.10.
On the same bus was a couple from Hay who had been thinking of taking their dog about on public transport. Previously, I'd told them there wouldn't be a problem. Stagecoach buses charge 40p for a dog ticket, and I'd just taken Islay half way across the country on the trains, and had no trouble either with the local service from Kettering to Corby.
So today, I phoned Yeoman's Canyon. If I'm going to be travelling around the country to shows, I want to know in advance whether I can get home from them. The lady I spoke to said that it had always been company policy not to carry dogs. I asked how I was supposed to know this, when I had never had any trouble travelling with them before with a dog, and when there are no signs up in the buses saying that dogs are not allowed.
She advised me to write a letter formally, so that my complaint can be answered - which I have just done, so it will be interesting to read the response, when I get it.

No comments: