Saturday 19 May 2007

Wonderwool and the Smallholders Exhibition

My feet ache! The Royal Welsh Showground is huge!

I got a free pass to the Wonderwool exhibition as long as I spent an hour handing out leaflets - which was quite interesting, though I did feel a bit like an evangelical on a street corner handing out tracts saying that 'Jesus is Lord' at times (mostly when people were trying to avoid me).

The Wonderwool area was fantastic. There were spinners and weavers and dyers and feltmakers and knitters and crocheters and rag rug makers, and all sorts of paraphanalia to go with each craft - from knitting needles to peg looms to everything to prepare a fleece, and the ready prepared fleeces.... I treated myself to some pretty drop spindles. There were all sorts of finished garments (and tea cosies) and wall hangings and rugs as well.
And that was just one part of the whole. There were goats - extremely cute goats, with kids - and many breeds of sheep, and cattle, and alpacas and llamas, and angora rabbits. There were hamsters and guinea pigs and rabbits and fancy chickens, and ducks as well. There were even two donkeys from the Elizabeth Svendson Centre - they work with handicapped children.
There were wood turners and basket makers - even a couple of wicker coffins! There was also a stall selling felted shrouds for those who wanted an even more natural option for their funerals.
There was speciality local food and drink, too, but I was running out of steam a bit by the time I found the food hall.
I saw the Tools for Self Reliance people, too - they send packs of hand tools to Tanzania, and help local blacksmiths to make more.

I had a great time, and came back full of enthusiasm.

No comments: