Wednesday 2 May 2007

Some of our street furniture is missing!

I took Islay round by the church for a change this morning, and up past the Cinema Bookshop, where we stopped to chat with an old chap on the bench there. After a minute, he said; "Do you notice anything missing?"
I looked around - and the phone box next to the bench had gone, with only a patch in the tarmac to show it was ever there.
This afternoon, I took Islay and Alfie up Cusop Dingle, and on the way back I stopped to deposit the little bag of doggy 'good luck' in the bin by the bus stop - and that had gone too!
I can understand the loss of the phone box, in this era of mobile phones - but that bin served a real purpose.

The Brecon and Radnor's lead story this week is on dog napping in the area. A worrying number of dogs, mostly of working breeds, have gone missing in the last few months. Thank goodness Islay's microchipped. There's also a website where lost dogs can be registered, at www.doglost.co.uk

I saw Jean Mar down on the Riverside Path, and she was full of the news that her son Mike has just resigned from Kilverts. He's been there, behind the bar, for years. New owners took over only a few months ago, though, and there's obviously been a difference of opinion - and not only with Mike. I saw a sign advertising for several new staff outside Kilverts the other day.

No comments: