Tuesday 29 May 2007

Trip to Hereford

I had to go into Hereford this morning, and I knew that the Hay Post Office would be closed when I got back to Hay (it always shuts on Tuesday afternoons) so I thought I'd take a letter in to Hereford to post.
When I got to the Post Office, the queue was up to the door, so I thought I'd come back.
When I next looked in, the queue was a little shorter, but it still looked as if I'd have to wait about half an hour for one stamp, so I didn't bother.
I went into the Barnardo's charity shop across the way instead. "Is the Post Office always that busy?" I asked.
"Oh, yes - they start queuing up before it opens most mornings, and on Thursday mornings the queue goes right back to the Heart Foundation shop!"
If the Post Office is that busy now - what will it be like when rural post offices close and the people who would have done their business there come into town instead?

On the way back to the bus station, I stopped in at Dunelm's for the last time. The shop closes on Saturday and they're re-locating to Gloucester. "That's no good to me," I said to one of the assistants.
"Do you go into Gloucester often?" she asked.
"Never! It's too far by bus," I said.
"But there's a bus stop just near the new shop. It's really quite convenient."
"But it takes me an hour to get from Hay to Hereford - it would take hours to get to Gloucester by bus!"
There is a Dunelms in the out of town shopping centre, but that's no good to me either, being too far to walk from the centre of town.
Which leaves the little patchwork shop off Capuchin Alley where you can buy fabric by the yard and the shop behind the Green Dragon, which is quite expensive.

No comments: