Friday 18 May 2007

Statues and puppies

Passing the pottery shop by the Buttermarket, I noticed a sign in the window. Looking closer, it was a press release saying that the windows of the pottery shop and the antique centre were broken on the 13th May, and that one of the statues on display was stolen. The police were making it known in case anyone was offered the statue for sale. It's pretty unusual for this sort of thing to happen in Hay. I hope they get it back.

Meanwhile, something seems to be happening on the site of Underhill's Garage. At least, a permanent fence has been put up in place of the temporary one that's been there up until now. I hope the houses that go up will fit into Hay better than the first plans that were submitted, by a previous owner of the site - they were going to be as tall as Globe Gallery, opposite (which stands on a mound) and had picture windows facing out over the river - which would have given a wonderful view of people's bedrooms from the Offa's Dyke Path opposite. They also had a balcony practically overhanging the cottage below, which the occupant complained about vociferously and successfully (it would have been illegal under planning legislation).

And finally, I was walking along Castle Street this morning when a car drew up beside me and stopped. It was the barman from the Crown. "Look in my boot," he said. So I gave him a bit of a funny look, and I peered into the boot - and down at a gorgeous Border terrier puppy. Brightened up my day no end!

No comments: