Friday 16 April 2010

Freegling in Brecon

For those that don't know, Freegle is the breakaway group from Freecycle, and it's the group active in the Brecon area.
Last week, I got two big cardboard boxes full of cones of weaving wool from a man in Clyro - fantastic, and just what I wanted!
This morning, I headed off to Brecon to hit the charity shops and meet another Freegle member, so I could give her my old computer monitor and keyboard. We met outside Morrisons, and apparently her nephews are delighted!
So, with a couple of hours to kill before the next bus home, I had a wander round the town. I hadn't realised that it's been about a year since I was last there! Several of the shops have changed. Woolworths is no longer with us, of course, being replaced by a factory shop, and the little cafe and bread shop where I used to have coffee and toasted tea cakes is now Bargain Booze, so I transferred my loyalties to Crustys - not the best cafe in Brecon, but nice and quiet and a decent mug of coffee. The rather nice Welsh shop on the main road is now Candyland, and half full of Pick 'n' Mix, which is a shame - they used to sell some local and Welsh interest books which are quite hard to get hold of. The big antique shop on the corner of Lion Street is gone, too, and the rather posh gift shop up the side alley from the Coracle has come over all Indian fabrics and crystals. There's even a little Nepali shop down the hill from the library, there being a lot of Gurkha families in town now.
On the bus route, I noticed a lot of orange Lib Dem posters, a few Conservative, and one UKIP.

No comments: