Thursday 29 April 2010

Wildflowers in Hay

This lunchtime, when I took Islay across the road for her daily biscuit(s), Mary was waiting with a question.
"You know those blue flowers round by where the solicitors park their cars, just down from the library? Do you know what they are?" She'd tried the Observer Book of Wild Flowers, with no luck, and another wild flower book on the shelves of the shop, but she couldn't see anything that looked likely.
I said it might be either borage or alkenet, but I couldn't remember the difference, so we got Dale to look up a picture of borage on the net - and there it was.
A customer poked his head round the corner of a shelf to say that his wife called it by the old country name of Fair Lady's Apron.

Meanwhile, my spinach is coming up! I planted seeds and they grew!

7 comments:

Eddie86 said...

Can I have some spinach? I make a mean sun-dried tomato and spinach pasta...

Anonymous said...

There is a site on the Open University web site where you can post pictures or descriptions of something wild life-ish that you can not identify, and they will do the job! I heard it mentioned on a radio 4 wild life programme. Sadly, I cannot remember what the name of the specific part of the OU site is (I need something to identify it, ha ha!) but it starts I-something. Sure you'll find it and sorry to be so vague...........and I think I'll stay anonymous too!

Eigon said...

Golly, the poor little plants aren't half an inch high yet, and already somebody wants them!
I'll see if I can remember when they're ready to harvest!

Anonymous said...

Here we are - http://ispot.org.uk/

Felt so bad about being so vague that I went and found he site I was waffling about before.

Try not to invest too much emotion in your plants. I always do and then am devastated when they get taken as little creatures' dinners!

Eigon said...

I'm just excited that they came up at all! Usually when I plant seeds that's the last I see of them.

Peter Williams said...

I'd really like some borage for my small back garden as it is so good at attracting and feeding those big bumble bees ! someone bring a couple to Market on Thursday ?

Eigon said...

Sadly, someone's been 'tidying up' down there, and they've cut all the borage down! Hopefully it'll grow again.