Monday 19 April 2010

Ponies on the Bluff

I met a friend today who told me that he used to be a grazier on the common land around Hay Bluff, grazing sheep up there. He doesn't do that any more, but he still has an interest in the area - and he has a plan.
Years ago, it seems, wild ponies were grazed up there as well as sheep, but in recent years they've been very much in decline. Peter told me that ponies have successfully been re-introduced around Hergest Ridge and Sennybridge - and he wants to see it happen here. When I saw him, he was on his way to the vet's surgery to ask them to get involved, and he came back very pleased to say that they would be glad to. He's also seen Jean Miller, our local famous artist, who has painted some pictures of the ponies on the Bluff, and she has agreed to be patron of the new group.
So ponies may again be seen on the hills around Hay, continuing a tradition which may go back as far as the Bronze Age!

1 comment:

Eigon said...

I saw Jean Miller today, and she said: "I didn't agree to anything!"
So my apologies to her - she isn't going to be patron of the group after all.